The power of AI in customer support: How LexBlog is striking the right balance
As artificial intelligence continues to transform industries from programming to law, it’s worth considering its potential impact on customer support roles. On behalf of the LexBlog Success Team, I’d like to discuss ways we’re experimenting with AI internally. By integrating AI services like ChatGPT into our customer support processes, we can better serve our clients while also making our own jobs easier.
And don’t worry, AI will not replace the human element any time soon. At LexBlog, we believe that empathy, authenticity, and innovation are at the core of what we do, and we know that those qualities can’t be automated.
Benefits of using AI in customer support
Let’s take a look at some of the benefits AI can offer with tools already available to us. Here are just a handful of the practical benefits that can be harnessed now:
- Faster response times: AI can help quickly research and generate responses to simple and complicated inquiries.
- Consistent quality: AI can help identify and provide templates for frequently asked questions, and can help improve the communication style of customer support reps.
- New insights: AI can provide valuable data and insights to customer support reps, allowing them to understand customer needs better and improve the customer support experience.
- Accessibility: AI can assist with language translation and accessibility, helping support agents communicate with customers who speak different languages or have different accessibility needs.
- Reduced workload: AI can help produce internal documentation, templates, and automate repetitive tasks.
We believe these benefits will create an overall better experience for both our Success Team and the clients we serve.
Beyond what’s available now, here are a few ideas that we think will further benefit the customer support role sometime in the future:
- Enhanced chat support: an AI-powered chatbot can quickly answer questions before routing them to a human agent.
- 24/7 support: with AI-enhanced chat support and voice generators, there is the potential to receive support outside of standard operating hours.
- Predictive support: by analyzing various data sources and patterns, AI can help anticipate issues before they happen.
- Intelligent routing: AI can route inquiries to the customer support agent best suited for a task.
- Emotion detection: AI can help detect frustration or anger and assist customer support agents in adjusting their approach.
Of course, this only scratches the surface of what may be possible for customer support teams in the foreseeable future. While it’s fun to discuss these possibilities, our team aims to take a level-headed approach to implementing AI.
How the LexBlog Success Team plans to use AI
Our internal discussions around AI have mainly revolved around ChatGPT, as that is the leading and most accessible AI application at the moment. As customer support representatives, we quickly realized how ChatGPT could optimize much of our internal work. The low-hanging fruit the Success Team will focus on in this regard includes building out our support center, our company wiki, and automated responses to clients.
Support Documents: The LexBlog Support Center is our hub for all client-facing knowledge resources. It covers all of the basics in navigating the LexBlog platform and associated policies and processes. We plan to use ChatGPT to identify and quickly fill in gaps in the Support Center. This will ensure a more comprehensive support experience for those that prefer looking for the answers themselves.
Company Wiki: LexBlog has an internal wiki where we’ve captured everything from company culture to core internal processes and features. As the company continues to grow, we plan to use ChatGPT to quickly create wiki articles as new features are released, or new policies and processes are put into place. This will alleviate much of the tedious work involved in creating these articles, freeing up time for us to focus on our clients.
Automated Responses: If you’re a LexBlog customer and have submitted a support ticket to us, you may have noticed some automated messaging, including support document suggestions. We plan to use ChatGPT to optimize our automated response templates by making them more concise and accurate to your specific request. This doesn’t mean a human support agent won’t see your ticket. Rather, automated responses can save time for both customers and support reps by providing relevant info ahead of time.
Keeping the human touch
Although ChatGPT can automate several of our tasks, we recognize that empathy and emotional intelligence are still essential to the support process. In addition, our Success Team’s diverse skills and experiences allow us to work collaboratively and leverage our collective strengths to provide exceptional support. So by combining the strengths of both human and AI support, we aim to create a customer support experience that is both efficient and empathetic, leading to higher satisfaction for everyone.
Integrating AI technology like ChatGPT into our support operations represents a significant opportunity for us to provide faster, more efficient, and more personalized support to our customers. However, it’s important to remember that AI should not be viewed as a replacement for human support agents. Instead, the LexBlog Success Team aims to strike a balance between the efficiency of AI and the empathy and emotional intelligence that only humans can provide.
If you’re interested in seeing how ChatGPT can enhance your own work processes consider trying it out for yourself. Also check out our recent post on where LexBlog is headed with AI integration as a platform feature for our clients. Sign up for the beta release of our AI Assist feature here.